In This Section


Click to View Gallery



Some files on this web site may require Adobe Acrobat Reader - download free
Get Adobe Reader


What is the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP)?

The Michigan Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is a federally funded, low-income residential energy conservation program providing free home energy conservation services to low-income Michigan homeowners and renters. These services reduce home energy use and lower utility bills.

What do mean by “Making my home more energy efficient”?

Making your home more energy efficient through weatherization could include: walls, ceiling, and floor insulation/ventilation. Other items that could be addressed include: caulking, glass replacement, door sweeps and weather-stripping, sealing of infiltration, and other measures based on your home data and computerized audit.

How do you know what measures will be installed in my home?

The work to be completed will be dependent upon a trained inspector’s findings on individual homes and program funds available. A computerized audit will determine the most cost effective measures to be completed on your home. These are the only measures that can be completed for that home.

What is not allowed in the Weatherization Program?

Work not allowed in the Weatherization Program includes, but is not limited to, the following: siding, painting, major roof repairs, storm doors, chimney work (other than minor repairs), work that only adds to the appearance of your home and any work in an unheated air space.

What if I have savings?

If you have savings, the Weatherization Program is only concerned with the interest or dividends earned from those savings. These can be obtained from your financial institution upon your request.

How do I prove my income?

Income can be proven with check stubs, unemployment receipts or letters, rental receipts, written verification from the source, including public assistance and Social Security. The Social Security Administration and the Department of Human Services cannot send this proof directly to the Community Action Agency. You must obtain this information and bring it to us. It is necessary for you to bring proof of your income at the time of the application.

How long does the Weatherization Process take?

Because of the large number of applicants interested in weatherization, the process could take at least nine months to a year to begin work on an eligible home.

If there is a long waiting list, why can’t you simply drop the materials off and let us do the work?

Due to the nature of the funding, a licensed and insured contractor on file with our agency must do all the work.

What if I am not satisfied with the work done?

After the contractor completes the work on your home, we are required to inspect the work. That is the time you should let the inspector know if there is anything you are not satisfied with. We will make a determination whether the work is satisfactory or not. If it is not satisfactory, we will correct the problem before we close out the job. If you have a problem within 18 months after the work was completed, you should contact the contractor that performed the work.

What if something goes wrong after the work is completed and the job is closed out?

At the time of the final inspection, you must sign off stating that the work is completed. The program is not responsible for broken windows, leaking roofs and other things that occur after the work is completed. You or your landlord are encouraged to set aside a certain amount of funds each month to cover ongoing maintenance and repairs to the property.

What if I rent?

If you rent, you may still be eligible for weatherization providing your landlord signs an agreement in your application. This agreement allows the landlord to raise the rent only for specific reasons for a two year period. Your landlord also must agree not to sell or transfer the property for a year. The amount of time between application and actual work beginning could be over a year depending on the number of applications received.

What if there is more than one family living in the rental property?

If there are more than two families renting in the same dwelling, 67% of the families must meet eligibility requirements, 50% for two or four family units.

If I live in a mobile home, can I apply for the program?

Yes, but because of the construction of mobile homes, we are limited to what we can do to weatherize them. Mobile home skirting is not an allowable measure.

If my home was weatherized before, can I apply again?

If your home was done before September 30, 1994, you can reapply, however, state guidelines allow us to re-weatherize no more than 25% of our yearly production, so the waiting list could be long.

How much does Weatherization cost?

The Weatherization Program is provided at no cost to you.

How do I know if I am eligible?

Because this is a federally funded program, eligibility standards must be met in order to have your house worked on. These standards are primarily based on income. To qualify, total household income must be at or below 200% of poverty. However, if anyone in your household has received cash assistance payments under Title IV (FIP), or Supplemental Security Income (SSI),within the last 12 months, are considered automatically eligible. Even though you may automatically qualify, the program requires that you go through the application process, including income verification.

What information do I need for the application?

Your Weatherization intake specialist will provide you a complete list of required documentation. Basic information will include: names and birthdays of ALL household members, household income, 12 months of heating and electric usage, and proof of home ownership.

What is income?

Income is all money that comes into a household every month. This can include, but is not limited to , gross wages, social security (before Medicare), pensions, rental income, interest, dividends, cash from sale of corps, alimony, unemployment benefits, and public assistance benefits (not food stamps). The combination of all these sources of money must be added together to determine your yearly income. Child support and college scholarships are excluded. Income is calculated three months prior to application date, so we need to know your previous year income in addition to your current income in order to annualize for a full year if you apply within the first three months of a calendar year.

Where do I apply for Weatherization?

To apply for the Weatherization Program, contact your local Community Action Agency.

Gogebic-Ontonagon Community Action Agency

Bessemer, Office: 906-667-0283

Ontonagon Office: 906-884-2106

Ewen Office: 906-988-2751

What if I have Any Other Questions?

If you have other questions about the Weatherization Program, please contact the Weatherization Program Director or staff at (906) 667-0283.

Back to Top

For technical questions and comments regarding this website,
please contact the Webmaster.